Saturday, February 25, 2012

What I have learned and am learning

Oh my goodness! I am so impressed my everyone's creativity! The stories were wonderful. a real joy to listen to, and a fun 3 minute mystery.
Things that I learned:
1. English presentations are way more enjoyable both to write and listen to than any other class.
2. The people around me are SO creative. They have so many surprises hidden up their sleeves.
3. Seriously though, this class reminded me to keep my eyes open. Not only for the hidden fairy-tales in the news, but also to remember that the people around me have way more to share than I ever expect.

It was so wonderful to read Dr. Sexson's story and really reminded me that magic IS everywhere. I have talked about my belief in magic and it is always beautiful to hear small reminders that if you open your eyes, you will not see reality, but instead myth playing tricks on us.
How many times have elders told me, Open your eyes child! You won't be young forever! Look at the real world, and get a seat on the train!
But then I smile because I know that opening my eyes will only display the magic further, that fairy tales and greek tragedies and myths of epic proportions are playing themselves out right in front of us. Reality? Sure, I live in the real world. Because what is real-ly going on is nothing but a modern reenactment of stories. Beautiful stories that when retold using other language people scoff and say, What is the use of telling stories that aren't true?

Which brings a whole new answer to that question. Because those stories ARE true, we see them everyday!

So, let us keep our eyes open. Whether it leads us to see the people around us and remember that they are all sources of astounding creativity, or to see that sometimes, more often than we think, the news is reminding us that stories really are at the source and perhaps lead us to understand that truth and meaning are all in the eye of the beholder.

No comments:

Post a Comment